Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Gardening?

Spring is well under-way in certain parts of the world, and some of the luckier folks are starting to see the little buds of summer in their gardens (Summer! Imagine that!). This post is, as you can see, geared towards those living in the northern hemisphere (for those living further south, I send you my condolences, and hope your weather (and your sanity) will recover soon. I hate the cold too!) but if you happen to be living down under, it's never too early to be pondering about spring.

Here's my question for you today:

Life Complications ~ Part 22

What determines a weed? Depending on your geographic location, your general description of weeds may be different, but I'm sure you've seen them before. And among those weeds, I bet my chocolate cupcake that there's at least one that flowers. You know, not the green, leafy weeds, but the kinds that grow petals and act as landing pads to bees. I'm sure you've seen weeds like that somewhere.

Take my neighborhood weed, for example. The ones we see most often up here are dandelions. Literally fields and fields of them (my geographic location also gives me a predisposition to see lots of empty grass fields). These little yellow buggers are actually quite nice, unless you're allergic to pollen or something similar. Halfway through the season, they change into their seeded counterparts, and its quite fun through the fields and scatter their fluffy seeds (again, not ideal for pollen allergists).

The thing is, these harmless (and free!) plants are rather discriminated against. People will go to all lengths to remove them from their gardens. And then when the dandelions are gone, they drive down to the nearest garden greenhouse to buy half-dead, smaller yellow flowers (at a ridiculously high price) to plant.

[ Get off my lawn, you horrible thing, you! ]
[ ~omnomnomnom~ ]
Seriously?
All that trouble simply because dandelions are considered to be weeds. But who considered them to begin with? People! Maybe one day we can consider them to be flowers, and we won't have to go though all the backbreaking work to replace flowers with other flowers. Who are we to choose which one's better, anyways?

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I refuse to pick up gardening...

Today's Surroundings: Utter lack of Microsoft Word 2007
Today's Object: Glass cups
Today's Color: Green

12 comments:

  1. I wish I can see dandelion fields, fields of flower are kinda rare in my neighborhood~

    http://girls-on-the-run.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Inggrid
    Trust me, I would mail you some if I could. Too much green can get a bit annoying, especially when you're trying to walk through it all to get somewhere :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom and I JUST had this discussion! :) Haha, we didn't come up with a good reason... Or any reason actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Lil Mama
    Yeah :) I keep trying to explain to my mom that it's weird for her to garden when she's just replacing flowers with (same colored) flowers. She still doesn't agree with me XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - I am definitely glad to discover this. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous
    Welcome to the blog :) Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad used to pay me a penny for every dandelion I removed. So two hours of work and I had a dollar!

    http://fck925.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girlie Says What6/26/2011 9:03 AM

    Hello there!
    I have recently recieved the award called “The Versatile Blogger”, and I’ve chosen YOU as an award-winner, too! There are a few basic rules to follow after getting this super-cool award. To start, the picture of the award is posted on my blog, http://www.girliesayswhat.blogspot.com. I would post it here, but it doesn’t let me paste pictures (frowny face). Here are the rules:
    1. After getting the award, you must recognize/thank the blogger who has given it to you.
    2. Next, share seven unknown facts about yourself.
    3. Recommend five deserving bloggers for the award.
    4. Let those bloggers know!
    Than you for following them rules, and congradulations!
    Love,
    Girlie Says What

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Annica
    You know, bundles of dandelion leaves are being sold at the greengrocers for 2 dollars each :D You need to get your dad to pay you more for your work XD

    @Girlie Says What
    Thanks for the award, but as you can see, I've already received the same award from another blogger. Thanks anyways! Use that award on someone who hasn't gotten it yet! :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a fan of sunflower fields.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Christina
    Ahh! I love them too :) Too bad there aren't any around here...Do you live close to any?

    ReplyDelete
  12. :) Dandelions are my favorite flower! I think that you're right - weeds aren't weeds unless you don't want them!

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts?